Music classes are divided between concert practices and classroom learning. While in "concert mode", students practice and learn songs that they will be performing for the Fall or Spring concerts. When not in "concert mode", students attend music classes and learn about various musical topics. These topics range from basic music theory, the different instruments in an orchestra, genre studies, acapella elements, and lyric studies.
Classes in Concert Mode
Odd-numbered classes (including kindergarten) are in concert mode and are preparing performances for the upcoming Spring Concert. This year's Spring Concert is themed "Jersey Strong". Classes will be performing songs and pieces by native New Jersey artists including:
- Bon Jovi
- The Jonas Brothers
- Frank Sinatra
- The Four Seasons
- And more!
All Other Classes
All even-numbered classes (including pre-kindergarten) are attending weekly music sessions and are introduced to several musical topics.
- Pre-K - rhythmic topics such as tempo and dynamics
- 2nd Grade - instruments of the orchestra
- 4th Grade - instrument families and how they are played
- 6th Grade - basic theory, including time signatures, the staff, and notation on the treble clef
- 8th Grade - analyzing lyrics of popular songs and locating political undertones; vocal percussion